Why Choose Us?AN EXTRAORDIANRY TEAM OF HIGHLY TRAINED DENTISTS
- Advanced Post-Graduate Training in:
• Dental Implants
• Periodontal Surgeries
- Board Certified by the National Dental Certification Board
- Awarded The Prosthodontic Award for Year 2002
What are Gingivitis and Periodontitis?
Gum disease is manifested in two forms:
- Gingivitis The earliest stage of gum disease, causing an inflammation and some bleeding of the gums caused by plaque buildup at the gumline. Gingivitis causes gum inflammation but no bone loss.
- Periodontitis The second stage where the supporting bone and fibers that hold your teeth in place are damaged causing bone damage and loss.
The Progression of Gum Disease
Periodontitis is a common complaint affecting approximately 50% of U.S. adults over the age of 30 years. It occurs in people who have preexisting gingivitis which is itself caused by the accumulation of bacteria at the gum line (dental plaque). Your gums may begin to form a pocket below the gumline, which traps food and plaque. If left untreated, plaque calcifies to form dental calculus. Dental calculus must be removed completely by the dentist in order to treat gingivitis and periodontitis. Proper dental treatment and improved home care can usually help prevent further damage. If left untreated, bone supporting your teeth can be destroyed, causing your teeth to shift or loosen.
Treatment of Gum Disease
Our office uses the following services and technologies to treat gum disease:
- COMPUTERIZED CHARTINGOur computer software allows us to measure the depth of the periodontally infected areas as well as the healthy areas. We can compare your readings from one appointment to the next and provide you with a graphic printout so you can see how you are doing and where you can help yourself with better home care. This also allows us to tailor our treatment, specifically for you.
- CAVITRON ULTRASONIC INSTRUMENTATIONWe use the most modern ultrasonic equipment available to remove plaque buildup quickly and comfortably.
- SOFT TISSUE THERAPYOur periodontal therapists have been trained to thoroughly remove the bacteria ridden plaque and tartar deposits that colonize the roots. This is the key to eliminating periodontal disease.
- PERIO PROTECT®is a comprehensive method that is customized for individual patients to help manage biofilms – communities of bacteria, growing in the spaces or pockets between teeth and gum tissue. The overall goal of the Perio Protect Method™ is to manage oral biofilm (bacteria) with minimally invasive dentistry for lasting oral health.
- CAVI-JETIn addition to the traditional polishing or buffing that you are accustomed to, we also utilize an air polishing system (like a mini pressure washer) to remove stains from your teeth.
Prevention of Gum Disease
Daily oral hygiene is vital in preventing the onset and growth of gum disease. Brushing and flossing keep teeth free from plaque-generating bacteria. In addition it is important to visit the dentist regularly for professional cleanings and examinations.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our office to examine the health of your mouth.